Environment and Society
Environment and Society > Health, Safety and Environment
As it is known, oil and gas have also some political values with its contribution to country’s economy besides being sources of energy utilized and mostly dependent today. Oil can be ready for use following the exploration, production, technical and chemical refining with high costs. Moreover, the obtained by-products create raw materials for tens of sectors.
The operations such as oil and natural gas exploration, production, and well completion services in the activities of TPIC are considered within the “Most Hazardous Jobs” in accordance with the “Bulletin on Hazard Classification List Concerning Occupational Health and Safety”. As TPIC, we declare that it is aimed not to cause giving any damage to any commodity, life and environment within the scope of our operations through the TPIC’s written Commitment. A principle of preventive health care against occupational accidents and diseases is adopted from the viewpoint of our employee’s health. Both of our employees and managers had been primarily targeted the acceleration of culture on occupational health and security, and the environment protection.
In this context, TPIC has grabbed a slice of history which would serve as a model for the oil companies in Turkey and abroad from the standpoint of Occupational Health and Security (OHS) and environment protection on drilling works conducted at the altitudes of 1.500 m where temperature varies -40ºC to + 50ºC with 650 employees from different countries such as Turkmenistan, Georgia, Syria, and Kazakhstan from east to west and north to south at home since 2004 where our unit started to operate.
In order to announce our slogans among the all employees inside and outside of our country, they are organized as below and are printed and hanged on necessary locations to create the consciousness in our customers.
TPIC provides in-service trainings on about 10 different issues besides outsourcing trainings such as Occupational Health and Security, Environment Protection, Basic First Aid, Risk Assessment, License for Forklift Operator, Advanced Driving Techniques, Teacher Training, and Occupational Security Specialization.
The best application of international levels together with the relevant Occupational Health and Security Legislation renewed since 2003 applied in our country are explained, and convenient videos are presented in such trainings.
The below basic issues are emphasized on during trainings and supervisions:
- Basic H2S (Hydrogen Sulphur) and Methods of Protection
- Fires and Fire Fighting Practices
- Working at High Elevations
- Load Lifting
- Environment Protection
- Hand and Foot Protection From Injuries
- Basic First Aid
- General Rules in Drilling Rigs on OHS
- Use of KKD
- Risk Assessment
- Explosive Environments
Pre-operational briefings are organized and recorded on occupational security for all operations especially casing, cementing, DST, and installing/dismantling. Emergency action teams commissioned against blow-out, fire, H2S are trained periodically, and practices are conducted by participation of rig personnel.
Selection and use of personal protective materials are applied in global standards, and innovations are followed continuously.
As an Occupational Security and Environment Protection Unit and with the consciousness is that the most valuable asset are employees, TPIC considers that:
- All managers or their acting deputies are responsible for the occupational health and security of all employees under their management or control;
- All employees are requested to work in safe. To work in safe is the pre-condition of working within TPIC’s organization;
- Protection of all employees including subcontractors’ workers as well as visitors should be ensured, and same should be handled as a privileged target;
- Necessary sources should be allocated and planned to provide determination and control of hazardous and risky situations;
- Complying with all national laws and regulations relating OHS should be committed;
- Conditions in conformance with the arrangements of OHS for all employees by preparing instructions and proceedings relating thereof should be provided, and studies for training, informing, supervision, and improvements should be made continuously;
- To comply with the OHS instructions, to inform about any occupational accident, slippery slope within an inch of event should be considered as an all priority task, including subcontractor’s employees